Illinois Shooting 5 Dead: Suspect Dies After Shootout With Police; 6-Year Old Survives Attack

Five individuals were shot to death on Wednesday in the town of Manchester, Illinois, according to CBS Chicago. The suspect in the shooting died later at a hospital from wounds suffered during a police shootout.

The deaths were confirmed by Illinois State police. The ISPD arrived on the scene at approximately 4:30 a.m. and found the five victims had already been shot, according to some preliminary police reports. Manchester is approximately 50 miles from Springfield.

According to the Chicago Tribune the five victims included a grandmother, a young couple, and two children. The police have not released the names of the victims. However, the Tribune reports the alleged shooter was a male in the middle of a custody disagreement with the oldest victim’s daughter.

According to Lt. Col. Todd Kilby of the ISPD, after authorities discovered the victims had died, nearby witnesses informed law enforcement that the suspect had hopped into a white Chevy Lunina and drove away.

The suspect’s car was spotted 12 miles away from the scene in the town of Winchester, Illinois. The officers gave chase and shots were fired back and forth between the two sides.

Police took the suspect into custody, while he was in possession of multiple weapons,” Kilby said. “The suspect was then transported to an area hospital, where he was later pronounced dead."

State’s Attorney Michael Hill, for Illinois’ Scott County, said events like this don’t happen every day.

“Scott County is a small community. Fortunately, this type of thing does not happen here very often, but this is proof that it can happen,” Hill said.

According to authorities, the suspect’s name is Rick Smith, 43. Hill told reporters Smith had a criminal history which included reckless homicide, and arrests for drugs and bad checks.

Police said a six-year-old girl survived the attack and is being treated an area hospital.