Not everyone has the makeup chops to have their own YouTube channel. In fact, most of us don't, and forget about the energy it takes to get on that Vogue level. So when you're looking to get a little fancy this holiday season, keep these five easy tips in mind, and even the laziest of us can spruce up a normal night-out outfit and bring it to holiday level.
1. Go bright. Highly-pigmented blue, green or purple eyeshadow adds instant fun to any outfit in under a minute. Avoid matching your outfit and go with complimentary colors instead. Sweep some eyeshadow onto your lid, stopping at the crease to avoid the crazed-grandma look. Add some mascara and a neutral lip and you're ready to get dressed and out the door! This deep blue from Mac looks great on all skin tones.
2. Use tape to get the perfect cat eye. Getting the perfect cat eye liner done is no easy task. To make your life 100 times easier, take some opaque tape, stick it to your hand a few times to decrease the stickiness, and tape a small piece along the line of your lower lid (see video below, starting at 1:34). Draw the line along the tape, and then peel off.
3. A little glitter goes a long way. If you're feeling festive, a glittery shadow or eyeliner can work wonders. Even jeans and a sweater can feel fancy and holiday-friendly with a little shiny addition. If you don't want to look like a disco ball, a neutral, shimmery shadow can do the trick. If you want to shine bright, go for a shadow that has visible glitter, like this one from ColourPop.
4. Use a long-lasting lip stain instead of lipstick to avoid smudges and reapplication. Many drugstore brands like Revlon and Covergirl make excellent stains that will let you enjoy your holiday party, drink after drink and cookie after cookie.
5. Coconut oil is the best makeup remover. After a long night of holiday festivities, you'll be amazed at how good it feels to flop into bed with a clean, smooth face. Take a nickel-sized amount of coconut oil, rub it between your hands, and rub it all over your face. With a face towel, wipe it all off. It takes one minute - even the laziest of girls will feel great taking that extra minute to say goodnight to their holiday makeup face.