A music professor at the University of Connecticut has been placed on paid leave and been barred from the campus after an investigation by police alleges he is guilty of sexual misconduct and decades-old molestation involving children.
Robert Miller, 66 of Mansfield is under inestigation by Connecticut state police and authorities in Fairfax County, Va. Following allegations that he molested five boys, who ranged from ages ten to 13 who were attending the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp in Ashford Conn., a camp founded by actor Paul Newman in 1988 for sick children. The abuse happened during 1988 and 1992 when Miller was a counselor there. He reportedly took the children away form the camp on unsanctioned trips, authorities said.
Fairfax County police have also confirmed they are investigating allegations that Miller molested a 13-year-old boy while he was a teacher at the former Whittier Intermediate School near Falls Church in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Meanwhile, Miller was reported to the university last month by a faculty member who claimed a student had told him that Miller had sex with UConn students. The AP reports Miller visited freshmen dorms and provided drugs to students. University authorities were notified several times between 2006 and 2011 of Miller's past sexual contact with children, however, it wasn't until February of this year that school administrators were told of the claims. Following that, it wasn't until June 21 that Miller was placed on administrative leave.
It was also revealed on Monday that the attorney genera's office is seeking bids from a law firm to represent the university's Board of Trustees. In addition, UConn has hired a private investigator. So far, Miller has not been charged with any crimes.
The reason Miller hasn't ben charged with child molestation in Connecitcut is because the statue of limitations on the allegations has expired. However, he could still be charged in Virginia, which is why Conn. state police are helping the Fairfax County authorities.
UConn president Susan Herbst said, in a statement, that university officials acted quickly after they first learned of the investigation into Miller earlier this year.
"Allegations involving crimes against children are both profoundly disturbing and heartbreaking," Herbst said. "Any accusation of sexual misconduct by faculty, staff, or students is among the gravest issues that any institution must face. It is clear that serious accusations have been made, questions that demand answers have been raised, and we will do all we can to find the truth and protect the vulnerable."
The investigation is ongoing but UConn has made it clear they're willing to operate in full cooperation with authorities.
© 2025 HNGN, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.








