A large number of Megaupload files have been deleted by a European hosting company, according to the founder of the sharing site, Kim Dotcom.
Dotcom said the deletion was the "largest data massacre in the history of the Internet," with millions of Megaupload users' private documents cancelled from online existence.
Dutch IT hosting company LeaseWeb claimed that it had to "reprovision the servers," as reason for getting rid of the huge amount of files.
According to the BBC, LeaseWeb also said that it had kept up the 630 files on its own dime, since Megaupload closed down in January of 2012.
Last year, Dotcom's site got the boot-government authorities shut it down after accusing website administrators of reaping huge financial benefits from torrent downloads and online piracy.
The FBI also cited illegal use for closing Megaupload-they claimed that people were hosting music and movie files acquired through improper channels.
"After a year of nobody showing any interest in the servers and the data we considered our options," the Dutch firm said in a blog post. "We commenced the re-provisioning of the servers in February 2013."
Dotcom is now infuriated, claiming on Twitter that he was never warned of this deletion.
#Leaseweb has NOT warned us about deleting #Megaupload servers. They informed us TODAY that servers were deleted on February 1st, 2013.
— Kim Dotcom (@KimDotcom) June 19, 2013
He even said that the file loss left him in tears.
LeaseWeb has responded by saying that it did, in fact, let him know that files were to be wiped out soon.
The deleted servers are but a slight portion of ones used by Megaupload-in North America, the site leased 1,100 servers from Carpathia Hosting, as well as Cogent Communications Group, the BBC reported.
Dotcom is in New Zealand at the moment, free on bail. He is up against charges of copyright fraud in the United States, in addition to extradition.
© 2025 HNGN, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.








