A military-style rifle manufacturer said it will be leaving Connecticut after new gun legislation passed last week, according to CNN.com.
The manufacturer, PTR Industries, said the new legislation is "fraught with ambiguous definitions, insufficient considerations for the trade, conflicting mandates and disastrous consequences for the fundamental rights of the people of Connecticut."
Connecticut Gov. Daniel Malloy signed into law last Thursday what many are calling the strongest gun control laws in the country.
The new legislation—which comes in the in the midst of a nationwide gun debate fueled by a shooting like the one in Newtown, Connecticut—bans over 100 types of assault rifles and the sale of high capacity magazines.
It also bans bullets that can pierce armor and holds the amount of rounds an ammunition magazine can have to 10.
John McNamara, vice president of sales for PTR, said the new law is just bad for business. He said the law makes the rifles they manufacture illegal to sell within Connecticut.
"Our governor has decided that he wants our business to stay here and sell the guns he feels deemed illegal to other states, but not our own," he said. "We do not agree with that logic."
Although the law bans many types of assault rifles, no person already owning any of those assault rifles will be forced to give them up. However, they must register the weapons and high capacity magazines they already own with the state.
PTR Industries CEO John Fiorini said registering their guns would be a challenge.
"At any given time, we own 100,000 or more 20-round magazines," he said. "How are we supposed to individually register all of those magazines?"
He also said Wednesday that he the new gun legislation will keep the company from making payroll.
“Indirectly, we employ 15 to 20 local vendors at any given time who have up to 15 to 30 employees each," he said in an interview with CNN Wednesday. McNamara says the company has 42 employees.
PTR industries plans to move to a new site by the end of the year. PTR is also asking other manufacturers to leave. They believe the move will “show our politicians the true consequences of their hasty and uninformed actions."
United States Sen. Richard Blumenthal , D-Conn, said gun maker's plea to other companies is “preposterous.”
Republican House Minority Leader Larry Cafero, one lawmakers who drew up the knew legislation, continued to stress that gun may keep their guns and ammunition "so long as they follow our rules and register."
© 2025 HNGN, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.








