A federal judge has instructed the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Friday to make emergency contraception pill legal for any female who can have children, Reuters reports.
After ruling in a Brooklyn court, U.S. District Judge Edward Korman, said the current regulations on what has been nicknamed the morning-after pills were “arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable."
Under FDA regulations, only women 17-years old and up are allowed to purchase the pill without a prescription.
Erica Jefferson, a spokeswoman for the FDA did offer and official statement but did say the issue was an ongoing legal matter.
Center for Reproductive Rights president Nancy Northup, praised Korman’s ruling.
"Women all over the country will no longer face arbitrary delays and barriers just to get emergency contraception," she said.
The CRR, along with other organizations, have been attempting to get the restrictions lifted. They claim that there is no scientific proof barring girls under the age of 17 from taking the pills without a prescription.
However, some who oppose abortion sat the mass availability of the pill will give criminals another option.
"When these are right out there with the bubble gum, they're going to be part of the date rape cocktail," Pharmacists for Life President Karen Bauer said.
Pharmacists around the America have declined to give out the contraceptives because it poses a conflict with their religious faith. If the law removes the restriction on the pills, then the pharmacist will have no say in how or when women can get them.
The FDA has previously tried to allow all woman of reproductive age to be able to take the drug. In 2011 they decided to make the drug available for all women, after deciding to not do so in 2005. However, after moving to make it more accessible in 2011, they were overruled by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebellus. Sellebus would then institute the 17 and up regulation.
© 2025 HNGN, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.








