San Diego authorities say two teenage gunmen who killed three people at the Islamic Center of San Diego shared a live video of the attack and circulated a lengthy online document filled with racist and Islamophobic rhetoric, now under intensive review by investigators.
Police and federal officials said the attackers opened fire late Monday morning at the region's largest mosque, killing three men before fleeing the scene.
The suspects, identified by law enforcement sources as 17-year-old Cain Clark and 18-year-old Caleb Vazquez, were later found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds in a vehicle a few blocks away, according to CNN.
Authorities are investigating the shooting as a suspected hate crime, citing anti-Islamic writings and other hate-filled material recovered from the suspects and their car.
Officials said the attack was broadcast in real time on at least one social media platform, showing the teens armed with rifles and a handgun as they moved around the mosque grounds.
Screenshots and clips reviewed by investigators appear to show extremist symbols and slogans on their clothing and weapons. Law enforcement agencies have asked technology companies to remove copies of the footage to prevent it from spreading further.
Alongside the video, investigators and extremism researchers are reviewing a roughly 70- to 75-page document posted online shortly before the shooting and attributed to the suspects.
The document is saturated with anti-Muslim, antisemitic, and racist language and endorses the so-called "Great Replacement" conspiracy theory that falsely claims nonwhite immigrants are being used to replace white populations.
It also glorifies earlier mass shooters and refers to the perpetrator of the 2019 Christchurch mosque attacks as a model, echoing themes seen in previous extremist manifestos.
Portions of the text appear to be written separately by each teen, referencing their ages, online aliases, and shared admiration for white supremacist figures. Investigators say the writings include generalized hate rhetoric and references to targeting Muslims, but do not contain a specific, detailed plan for the Islamic Center itself.
Authorities are working to confirm the full authorship of the document and to map connections between the suspects and online extremist spaces where similar content has circulated, The Jerusalem Post reported.
According to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl, the shooting began around 11:40 a.m. as worshippers and staff were present at the mosque complex, which also houses a school.
Earlier that morning, the mother of one suspect had called police to report that her son had fled home with multiple firearms, a vehicle, and a friend, and might be suicidal, prompting a search that was still underway when shots were fired at the mosque.
Officers responding to the scene found three men fatally wounded outside the building and later located the suspects' vehicle with both teens dead inside.
Community leaders and international media have identified the victims as security guard Amin Abdullah and worshippers Nader Awad and Mansour Kaziha. Abdullah, a father of eight and longtime guard at the center, is being hailed by police and mosque representatives for actions they say were pivotal in preventing more casualties.
Children attending classes at the complex were evacuated safely as officers implemented active-shooter protocols and cleared the building, as per the BBC.
Originally published on Lawyer Herald








