The Weinstein Company today revealed the official cast for Academy Award-winning writer/director Quentin Tarantino's upcoming post-Civil War western, "The Hateful Eight." It is quite a spectacular array of performers, in my opinion.
So, without further ado "The Hateful Eight" are:
1. Academy Award-nominee Samuel L. Jackson ("Pulp Fiction") as Major Marquis Warren
2. Golden Globe-nominee Kurt Russell ("Death Proof") as John "The Hangman" Ruth
3. Golden Globe-nominee Jennifer Jason Leigh ("Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle") as Daisy Domergue
4. Emmy-nominee Walton Goggins ("Justified") as Chris Mannix
5. Academy Award-nominee Demian Bichir ("A Better Life") as Bob
6. Academy Award-nominee Tim Roth ("Rob Roy") as Oswaldo Mobray
7. Michael Madsen ("Kill Bill") as Joe Gage
8. Academy Award-nominee Bruce Dern ("Nebraska") General Sanford Smithers.
Also, Channing Tatum ("21 Jump Street") has signed on for an undisclosed role in the film. This will be Leigh, Bichir, and Tatum's first film with Tarantino, while the rest of the cast has worked with him in the past.
"In 'The Hateful Eight,' set several years after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. The passengers, bounty hunter John Ruth (Russell) and his fugitive Daisy Domergue (Leigh), race towards the town of Red Rock where Ruth, known in these parts as "The Hangman," will bring Domergue to justice. Along the road, they encounter two strangers: Major Marquis Warren (Jackson), a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter, and Chris Mannix (Goggins), a southern renegade who claims to be the town's new Sheriff. Losing their lead on the blizzard, Ruth, Domergue, Warren and Mannix seek refuge at Minnie's Haberdashery, a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. When they arrive at Minnie's, they are greeted not by the proprietor but by four unfamiliar faces. Bob (Bichir), who's taking care of Minnie's while she's visiting her mother, is holed up with Oswaldo Mobray (Roth), the hangman of Red Rock, cow-puncher Joe Gage (Madsen), and Confederate General Sanford Smithers (Dern). As the storm overtakes the mountainside stopover, our eight travelers come to learn they may not make it to Red Rock after all..."
"Any actor who jumps on board with one of Quentin's films is in for a wild and rewarding ride," said Bob and Harvey Weinstein, TWC Co-Chairmen. "We couldn't be any more thrilled with the fantastic group of performers we've assembled for 'The Hateful Eight' - some perennial fixtures in his movies and some newcomers - and can't wait to kick off the shoot in Telluride."