Love obscure food holidays? Love your dog? Then today is your day. It's International Dog Biscuit Day! You can celebrate by being extra generous with the treats today, or you can have a little extra fun and bake some dog biscuits yourself.
Why go the extra mile? You know your pup deserves healthy, natural snacks, and the best way to make sure that there's no bad additives or preservatives is by making them yourself, says Cesar's Way. You can also adjust recipes to add in what you know your dog goes nuts for. Dog treats are notoriously loaded with preservatives that can be very dangerous to your dog's health over time. If you're not much of a baker, try spreading peanut butter on a slice of bread, rolling it up tight and slicing it into little rounds. Keep them in the fridge for a snack your pup will love.
Make sure to keep out any known allergens and avoid ingredients like garlic, grapes, chocolate, macadamia nuts, mushrooms, onions, raisins, and walnuts which are potentially toxic, according to the Humane Society.
1. Apple Cheddar Dog Biscuits from Martha Stewart. Dogs love cheese, so mixing a little bit into their biscuits will make for a delicious treat.
2. Peanut Butter Dog Treats from Damn Delicious. The classic delicious treat for your dog.
3. Blueberry Dog Biscuits from Martha Stewart. Add a little fruit to your puppy's repertoire.
4. Herbed Dog Biscuits from Epicurious. For the gourmet pup or human!
5. Bacon-Fat Dog Biscuits from The Kitchn. These will happily replace the chemical-laden Beggin' Strips that dogs love.