Ariel Castro's house is no longer standing after demolition crews began tearing down the property on Wednesday that housed his three victims for over a decade in Cleveland, USA TODAY reported.
Cheers filled Seymour Avenue as Castro's house was ripped down and one of the three victims brought bundles of yellow balloons to honor other missing children.
Joseph Frolik of the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office told reporters the house was torn down because they "didn't want some kind of gruesome, macabre shrine, if you will, that would get gawkers and curiosity seekers." He also said Prosecutor Tim McGinty "wanted the property to come down and to come down quickly."
Castro, 53, plead guilty to over 900 charges last month including rape, kidnapping, and murder connected to Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight who were rescued on May 6.
The destruction of his house comes less than one week after Castro was sentenced to life in prison plus 1,000 years.
Knight, who provided the yellow balloons, said they represent hope for other missing people out there, USA Today reported. She also spoke at Castro's sentencing, asking God to give strength to those who are looking for their missing loved ones.
Earlier this week, members of Castro's family retrieved some items from the house. According to prosecutors in the case, Castro cried when he signed over his house and claimed to have many "happy memories" with his victims in his home.
USA Today reported that two local companies offered to demolish the house at no cost and are expected to finish by the end of the week. Officials are trying to get permission to take down two vacant homes next to Castro's old house and possibly replace the property with a community betterment project.
DeJesus was 14 when she was kidnapped, Berry was 16, and Knight was 21. They were finally found after Berry escaped from her room and began screaming from the door, getting attention from neighbors.