‘Ant-Man’ Movie Update: Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller Think Marvel Should ‘Abandon Ship’ after THREE Directors Reportedly Pass on Project
Jun 06, 2014 04:10 PM EDT
Marvel is still searching for a director to take over "Ant-Man" after Edgar Wright quit a few weeks ago. Wright had been attached to the superhero project since 2006 but announced in a joint statement with Marvel that he would no longer be a part of the film.
A clear reason for the departure was never given by neither Wright nor Marvel. According to MTV, "22 Jump Street" directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were reportedly at the top of a fan-favorite list to tackle the film but both have said they would never do the movie.
"It seems like a tough person's shoes to step into, you know what I mean?" Miller told MTV. "It's tough to have that as the specter hanging over, what would have been, and what could have been. It seems kind of tough."
Just because the two think it's tough doesn't mean they wouldn't accept the challenge, but there was another issue getting in the way.
"We're fans and buddies of Edgar, so..." Miller continued.
"It would be like Spielberg making 'A.I.' It's like, I don't know what to do with it," Lord added. "This guy's a genius, I feel strange."
Lord suggested that a "logical choice would be Edgar Wright... to finish an Edgar Wright film" but clearly that's not going to happen.
"I mean, Joe Cornish, that would make a lot of sense," he added. "Or if they, like, decided to abandon ship and try again years from now it would make more sense."
Ever since Wright's exit Marvel has reportedly been having a tough time finding a replacement. According to Deadline, two more directors are in talks to finish the movie - Nicholas Stoller and Michael Dowse - but it's not clear if one of them will accept the job.
Reportedly three directors have already said no, including Adam McKay and Rawson Thurber.
"Earlier today, we scooped that Rawson Thurber had been offered the job in the hopes of settling down the movie's rocky road to production and getting things back on pace to hit that July 2015 release date Marvel is still dead set on," ThisISInfamous.com reported. "Unfortunately, the 'Ant-Man' nightmare for Marvel continues, as sources tell us Thurber has indeed passed on the film, sending the studio right back to the drawing board to find someone actually willing to touch this movie with a 10-foot pole."
So far Marvel has not decided to shelve "Ant-Man" and still plans to release the film July 17, 2015.
Like Us on Facebook