U.S. Exchange Student, Levy Thamba, Falls To Death After Eating Pot Cookie In Colorado
Apr 02, 2014 01:54 PM EDT
An exchange student studying in the U.S. fell to his death from a Denver hotel balcony after eating a pot cookie, WTVQ-TV reported.
Levy Thamba, 19, died on March 11. The medical examiner's office lists "marijuana intoxication" as a contributing factor in his death, in addition to trauma from the fall. The incident was ruled an accident.
Michelle Weiss-Samaras, a spokeswoman for Denver's Office of the Medical Examiner, acknowledged the role of marijuana in Thamba's death was "a little unique" but claimed "that's all we had. He was fine, he was normal, he was an easy-going kid, and then he ate this cookie and went over the balcony. And this was not a kid who was suicidal."
Thamba was a native of the Republic of Congo and was studying engineering and mathematics at Northwest College in Powell, Wyoming. Officials at the school said he began classes in January.
"His social life showed that he was a very nice person," said Emelee Volden, intercultural program manager at Northwest College. "He made a lot of friends in a short amount of time."
According to the Powell Tribune, Thamba was staying in Denver on spring break with friends.
Many people posted messages on his Facebook page, expressing their grief and shock at Thamba's sudden death.
"Your value was one all cherished," wrote Leronz Otarel Nkosi. "The world has lost a true gentlemen."
The NWC Intercultural Program also planned a memorial service for Thamba and uploaded a statement on their Facebook page as well.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of NWC student Levy Thamba," the Facebook post read. "He will be greatly missed by his friends and family around the world."
His death is the first known fatality related to marijuana since it's legalization in Colorado on Jan. 1.
Like Us on Facebook