On Tuesday a Nigerian Air Force fighter jet mistakenly bombed a refugee camp, the jet was on a mission in opposition to Boko Haram extremists. The incident killed more than 100 refugees and wounded aid workers along with 20 volunteers from the aid group.
It has been a tragic mistake as it is the first time Nigeria's military had admitted to being a cause for the incident. The Borno state official spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity, they also helped in the evacuation of the wounded from the remote area by helicopters as per Fox News.
The accidental bombing was confirmed by military commander Maj. Gen. Lucky Irabor in the northeastern town of Rann. The doctors with the team in Raan counted around 52 bodies and were attending to 120 wounded at that time.
According to AP News, two soldiers were also wounded along with Nigerians working for Doctors Without Borders. The aid group director of operations Dr. Jean Clement Cabrol said that this large attack on vulnerable people who have fled from extreme violence is shocking and unacceptable.
The general who carried out the mission said that it was based on information that Boko Haram insurgents meeting in the area, together with geographic coordinators. He further stated that it was early to say if the tactical error was made but the bombing will surely be investigated.
Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari said that the bombings have helped to drive Boko Haram out of many town and villages. As per reports the insurgent's stronghold was in the Sambisa Forest last month.
Doctors Without Borders are in close contact with their teams in Cameroon and Chad, they are ready to treat the wounded patients who are in shock following the event. The incident was certainly tragic and more than 100 lives were lost leaving behind wounded workers.