The hacker group Anonymous said Saturday that the Islamic State group is planning to attack a number of locations on Sunday, including some in Paris, the U.S., Indonesia, Italy and Lebanon.
OpParisIntel, a sub-sect of Anonymous fighting against ISIS, released a statement Saturday saying that it had uncovered information about imminent terrorist attacks "on Paris and the world" scheduled for Nov. 22, reported The International Business Times.
"All proof was submitted to official authorities all around the globe days ago," the statement said. "They have it and it is their responsibility to do something with it. But because they have not done anything with it yet and it's almost the 22nd, we have matters into our own hands. We only take the responsibility of warning civilians (in case the authorities do not act well enough)."
Anonymous said it received numerous threats from pro-Islamic State accounts on social media, "but not just regular threats. These threats were all focused on...the 22nd of November."
The group added that its intel team was able to verify the threats and target locations, and it warned against attending events with large crowds, especially church services in Paris.
Anonymous said that it had evidence that the following events may be targeted:
- Cigales Electroniques with Vocodecks, RE-Play & Rawtor at Le Bizen (Paris)
- Concrete Invites Drumcode: Adam Beyer, Alan Fitzpatrick, Joel Mull at Concrete (Paris)
- Demonstration by Collectif du Droit des Femmes (Paris)
- Feast of Christ the King celebrations (Rome/Worldwide)
- Al-Jihad, One Day One Juz (Indonesia)
- Five Finger Death Punch (Milan, Italy)
- University Pastoral Day (Holy Spirit University of Kaslik, Lebanon)
Anonymous said that the Islamic State is also planning an attack at the World Wrestling Entertainment event in the Phillips Arena in Atlanta on Sunday. FBI officials confirmed to WSB-TV 2 Atlanta that it is taking the reports seriously.
"The goal is to make sure the whole world, or at least the people going to these events, know that there have been threats and that there is possibility of an attack to happen," the Anonymous statement continued.
The group told IBT that it has given its proof to Britain's MI5 intelligence agency, as well as the C.I.A., F.B.I. and Australian government. It added that it does not plan to released the proof publicly, because "everyone will start calling it fake because screenshots can be edited and accounts can be deleted."
"We have purposely not shared account links publicly because they would be shut down immediately and then no one would believe the proof."
Following last week's attacks in Paris that killed 129 people and wounded 350 more, Anonymous declared cyberwar on ISIS, which claimed responsibility for the attacks.
The hacker group has since released a tutorial that teaches laypeople how to help in the cyberoperation, which has reportedly identified and shut down thousands of Twitter accounts associated with the the terrorist group, according to The Hill.