UPDATE 10/3/15 12:38 p.m.: Officials have reported that an additional six Doctors Without Borders workers have been killed in suspected U.S. airstrikes in Kunduz Afghanistan, bringing the death toll up to nine, according to the Associated Press.
Officials with the charity group Doctors Without Borders, also known as Medecins Sans Frontieres, report that three members of it's staff died from airstrikes in Kunduz, Afghanistan - an area where the U.S. had been conducting bombings to drive out militants.
In addition to those confirmed dead, 30 staffers went missing after the bombings hit the trauma center several times, the group revealed, according to USA Today.
Army Spokesman Col. Brian Tribus, confirmed that a U.S. airstrike conducted at around 2:15 a.m. local time "may have caused collateral damage to a nearby health facility."
"I can confirm that U.S. forces conducted an airstrike at approximately 2:15 this morning Oct. 3rd in Kunduz city against individuals threatening the force. The airstrike may have caused collateral damage to a nearby health facility," Tribus said, NBC News reported.
— Doctors w/o Borders (@MSF_USA) October 3, 2015
"We do not yet have the final casualty figures, but our medical teams are providing first aid and treating the injured patients and MSF personnel," Operations Director Bart Janssens said, according to CNN.
More than 80 MSF international and national staff, as well as 105 patients and their caretakers, were present at the hospital when the attack occurred.