Luis Alonzo Alfaro, the 17-year-old Spring High School student that attacked fellow classmates on Wednesday, has been charged according to CBS News.

Alfaro fatally stabbed one student and injured three others after pulling a knife out during a fight, police said. He admitted to the attack and authorities released an official statement Wednesday night. They did not say specifically what they believed to be the cause of the incident. 

"We believe a confrontation of some sort occurred ... that ultimately led into a physical confrontation that produced weapons," Sheriff Adrian Garcia said. "There has been some information that this may have been gang related." 

They also made no comment on the teenager who was killed in the fight. 

Classes at Spring High School, which has around 3,500 students, have been cancelled for the rest of the week. Some parents believe that Wednesday's fight was an extension of an altercation that happened the day before, but school administrators would not confirm their allegations. 

"Every parent sends their child to school believing school should be one of those safe haven places," said Ralph Draper, Spring Independent School District Superintendent. "This is what we spend our nights and days working toward and what I lose sleep over. In my nearly 30-year career, this is the one thing you pray never to experience."

Parent Tara Campbell said her daughter notified her of the fight via text message and saw several students document the incident on their phones. 

"Last year there were gang fights consistently," said Campbell, who mentioned possibly home-schooling her daughter. "This is ridiculous. This is an ongoing situation." 

Lakesia Brent, another parent, said her son also alerted her through a text and asked her to pick him up from school. 

"He's just afraid," Brent said as she discussed how fights have remained as a serious issue at the school. 

While many parents criticized the school administration for not communicating with parents quickly enough, Draper defended the way the school handled the situation, which prioritized securing the campus before notifying families. 

"When street violence pours into the school, it compromises the safety of all our students," Draper said.