Aaron Hernandez Fiancee: 5 Things About Shayanna Jenkins (UPDATE)
Aug 23, 2013 12:20 PM EDT
Aaron Hernandez's fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins, was seen crying at several of the ex-NFL star's court hearings. While she isn't a suspect, police appear to believe she knows more than she's letting on. Below are five known things about Jenkins.
1) Jenkins, 24, is Hernandez's high school sweetheart. They graduated in 2007 from Bristol Central High, according to Heavy.com. On Nov. 6, 2012, they became parents to a baby girl named Avielle Janelle. Jenkins and Hernandez lived together in North Attleboro, Mass.
2) Hernandez and Odin Lloyd became acquaintances through Jenkins' sister, who was dating Lloyd.
3) Investigators believe Jenkins may have hid the murder weapon used in the shooting death of Lloyd. Court documents released last week describe authorities as saying Jenkins made "overt attempts to hide evidence ... and to hinder and mislead" investigators, according to the Hartford Courant.
Video footage shows Jenkins on June 18 lugging a heavy trash bag that appears to contain a "rigid object" from her basement, loading it into the trunk of her car and driving away. When Jenkins returned later in the day, video footage shows the trash bag as no longer in her trunk.
Investigators believe the "rigid object" may have been a safe containing the murder weapon. "Cryptic" text messages between Jenkins and Hernandez mention a box in the basement shortly before Jenkins is seen taking the trash bag out of the basement. Carlos Ortiz, a suspect charged in connection with Lloyd's death, previously told authorities Hernandez put at least one gun into a box located in the basement.
4) Jenkins and Hernandez had an argument "a few months back" that resulted in Hernandez putting his fist through a window and Jenkins calling the police, according to TMZ. The argument reportedly occurred in Hermosa Beach, Calif., after Jenkins tried to end Hernandez's all-night party. Hernandez's Hermosa Beach neighbors described him as a "nightmare."
5) Jenkins isn't a suspect in the case. Under Massachusetts law, if Hernandez and Jenkins were to marry before his trial, she would be shielded from testifying against him if she so chose, according to NBC Sports.
For the latest on Hernandez, visit HERE.